Having a simple recipe in your back pocket that can easily be added to the weeknight meal plan or served for friends & family at one of the many get-togethers, is never a bad thing!
This seared scallop recipe with a 5 ingredient Brussels sprout salad is super quick & simple to throw together but also looks and tastes like a restaurant-quality meal. Win-win!
Don’t be intimidated by scallops! Here are a few tips to mastering this succulent seafood:
- Look for “dry” scallops and try to avoid getting “wet” ones or those that have been treated with preservatives. You’ll get a better flavor and sear from dry scallops!
- Remove the tough muscle that sometimes appears on the side of the scallops.
- Pat them very dry and season with salt & pepper right before they hit the pan.
- Use medium-high or high heat and cook for 90-120 seconds on each side!
Seared Scallops with 5 Ingredient Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- 10 oz shaved Brussels sprouts store-bought or done at home on a mandoline
- 5 medium dates pitted, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces Parmesan shaved
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 lb. dry sea scallops thawed if frozen and patted dry, tough side muscle removed
In a medium bowl, toss hazelnuts, Brussels sprouts, dates, and lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper. Add Parmesan and 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and toss gently; season with red pepper flakes (if using).
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large well-seasoned cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Ensure the scallops are well-dried and season both sides with kosher salt and black pepper. Add scallops to skillet, avoid overcrowding, and cook about 1 ½-2 minutes per side or until scallops are just beginning to turn opaque. Avoid overcooking. Serve the scallops over the shaved Brussels sprout salad.